What Social Security Applicants Need To Know About Online Applications
POSTED BY Jan Dils . January 25, 2018
The internet is a wonderful tool with the power to make our lives easier in so many ways, including the process of applying for Social Security Disability. For instance, did you know that you might be able to save a lot of time by filing your initial social security benefits online application? However, not everyone can file their applications via the internet. If you wish to pursue social security benefits online application, you must meet the following requirements to file online:
- You must be age 18 or older;
- You are not currently receiving benefits on your own Social Security record;
- You are unable to work because of a medical condition that is expected to last at least 12 months or result in death; and
- You have not been denied disability benefits in the last 60 days. If your application was recently denied, Social Security’s Internet Appeal application is a starting point to request a review of the determination made.
- What about individuals who want to pursue Supplemental Security Income? (SSI) Those people are able to file online too, but the requirements are slightly stricter. Per the SSA website, you must meet the following requirements to file your SSI claim online:
- You must be between the ages of 18 and 65;
- You’ve never been married;
- You aren’t blind;
- You are a U.S. citizen residing in one of the fifty states, District of Columbia, or the Northern Mariana Islands;
- You haven’t applied for or received SSI benefits in the past; and
- You are applying for Social Security Disability Insurance at the same time as your SSI claim.
Overall, filing an online application is a great way to get your Social Security case started. There are some instances in which you may not want to file online, however:
If you don’t have access to high-speed internet, you may want to file a traditional application instead of social security benefits online application. The application can take a long time to complete, and that can be made worse if you don’t have a high-speed connection.
If you only have a smartphone. Smartphones are great, but a traditional desktop computer or laptop is a better choice for this application. The main reason for this is because you will need to upload and download large files for your new application.
If you’re not comfortable with computers, you may want to use a traditional application over social security benefits online application.
If you are curious about applying for benefits, give us a call today for a free consultation. Our toll-free number is 1-877-526-3457. Or, if you can’t talk right now, fill out this form so we can contact you at a better time. We may even be able to help you fill out your initial application.