Adult Disability Benefits for Epilepsy
Living with epilepsy can be a significant challenge for an adult, sometimes interfering with your daily routine and getting in the way of your ability to work. Luckily, government programs and resources are available to you for support and financial assistance. We will explain disability benefits for adults with epilepsy: the eligibility requirements, the application process, and the benefits you might receive.
Eligibility for Disability Benefits
To qualify for disability benefits through the Social Security Administration (SSA), adults with epilepsy must meet certain requirements. You are more likely to get approved for benefits if you meet the following criteria:
- Seizure Frequency: The SSA usually requires evidence that you suffer from seizures. Showing how often you get seizures and what kind of seizures you get plays a crucial role in determining your eligibility.
- Medical Documentation: You need to provide medical records that document how often you get seizures and how long they last, as well as your attempts at treatment and how effective treatment has been.
- Functional Limitations: You need to demonstrate how epilepsy affects your daily activities and ability to work. When evaluating eligibility, the SSA considers how epilepsy has limited your physical abilities, memory, concentration, and emotional stability.
Applying for disability benefits can be complex, but it becomes more manageable with careful preparation. Be sure to take these steps:
- Collect the Relevant Information: You do not necessarily need to gather your medical records but you do need to provide SSA with your name, address, telephone number, and the dates of treatment with your medical providers.
- Complete the Application: Visit the official Social Security website to complete the necessary application forms. You can also seek assistance from one of our Social Security disability attorneys or advocates specializing in disability claims.
- Provide Detailed Information: After you apply, you will receive a questionnaire where you can describe how your disability affects your daily activities and ability to work. Make sure you include a comprehensive and truthful description of how epilepsy affects you.
- Seek Legal Help: Consulting with an attorney or advocate can definitely improve your chances of a successful claim. They can guide you through the application process, assist with completion of needed paperwork, and gather your medical records to provide to the SSA.
Benefits of Disability Approval
Obtaining disability benefits for epilepsy offers advantages to help you manage your condition and ease your financial situation. These benefits can include:
- Monthly payments to provide a reliable income stream that covers essential living expenses.
- Eligibility for Medicare or Medicaid coverage, which can help you to cover medical costs, including doctors’ visits, medication, and necessary treatments.
- Some disability programs offer vocational rehabilitation services, to help you reenter the workforce when you are ready.
Adults With Epilepsy Should Contact a Lawyer for Help With Disability Benefits
Adults living with epilepsy face unique challenges. Social Security disability benefits can provide essential financial support and resources. By understanding the eligibility criteria, carefully following the application process, and seeking professional assistance, you could increase your chances of getting the benefits you need. Jan Dils, Attorneys at Law can work with you to make an application and navigate any obstacles along the way. We offer free and confidential consultations.