What to do when the at-Fault Driver is Uninsured

What to do when the at-Fault Driver is Uninsured

In the United States today, 48 out of 50 states require licensed motorists to carry car insurance. Depending on the state, drivers may be required to carry minimum liability coverage. That being said, the two states that don’t require car insurance, New Hampshire and Virginia, mandate drivers who don’t pay for motorist insurance coverage to pay the state $500 annually instead, although this cost does not provide protection against liability in the event of an accident.

No-Fault vs. Tort States

In the U.S, 12 states are classified as no-fault states, while the remaining 38 are tort states. Drivers in no-fault states are required to carry personal injury protection (PIP), which is used to cover expenses such as medical bills, lost wages, or funeral costs in the event of a collision regardless of who is responsible for the accident. The amount of coverage a motorist must carry varies by state, with some states ranging from $15,000 per person/per accident to $250,000 per person/per accident.

On the other hand, the 38 tort states require the driver responsible for the accident to cover the resulting expenses, regardless of whether he or she is uninsured. In other words, someone is always liable for a motor vehicle accident that occurs in a tort state. Tort states account for the possibility of being hit by an uninsured driver by requiring motorists to carry third-party liability insurance, uninsured motorist (UM) coverage, or underinsured motorist (UIM) coverage.

UM and UIM cover a policy holder’s accident-related expenses when a driver with no insurance or insufficient coverage causes his or her losses. This insurance covers expenses such as medical bills, pain and suffering, and lost wages.

What to do after a Collision with an Uninsured Driver

It is necessary to file a police report immediately after a collision with an uninsured driver. Otherwise, it is also crucial to gather as much information as possible about the accident by taking pictures of the damage, noting the road condition and speeds of the vehicles, and exchanging information with the other driver and witnesses. The next step is to file an uninsured motorist claim with your own automobile insurance.

Contact an Attorney Today

If you or a loved one suffered injuries at the hands of an uninsured driver, the team at Jan Dils, Attorneys at Law, understands the complexities of UM and UIM insurance claims and can help ensure that your situation is handled efficiently. Contact our attorneys today to pursue compensation.

We Won't Take “NO” for an Answer®

To Schedule an Appointment, Call Us Toll Free at 1.877.873.8208 or Email Us for a Prompt Response.

Jan Dils, Attorneys at Law

Jan Dils, Attorneys at Law