Name Changes and Social Security Disability Benefits

If you’ve changed your name recently, it’s important to notify the SSA to ensure your information remains up to date and there are no problems or delays with your Social Security Disability benefits. Keeping your information accurate will also help alleviate any situations of fraud, as well – especially if you have a fairly common name.

To change your name or notify the SSA of any inaccurate information on their end, such as a mix-up with another individual who shares your name, you can contact them directly. Depending on the nature of your name change or updated information, you will be required to bring different forms/proofs of identity. These specifics for your situation can be found on the SSA.gov website or by asking a representative at your local Social Security office.

For example, if you’re updating your name due to a change in marital status, you’re required to bring a recently issued marriage certificate or divorce decree. Other documents that may apply to your situation could be certificates of naturalization or court orders if you’ve had your name changed through those avenues.  Of course, just like we mentioned in terms of replacing a lost Social Security Card, bringing your driver’s license, birth certificate and/or passport is always beneficial for extra proof of identity.

Keeping your information up to date is crucial, especially if you’re thinking about applying for Social Security Disability Insurance (SSDI) or Supplemental Security Income (SSI) benefits. The process can be long and complex as is without the added snag of outdated or incorrect information.

If you need help obtaining Social Security Disability benefits, contact the West Virginia Social Security Lawyers of Jan Dils, Attorneys at Law. We will fight for the benefits you deserve and make your claim or appeal process as seamless as possible.

We Won't Take “NO” for an Answer®

To Schedule an Appointment, Call Us Toll Free at 1.877.873.8208 or Email Us for a Prompt Response.

Jan Dils, Attorneys at Law

Jan Dils, Attorneys at Law