Reporting Changes in SSI

Last week we discussed what changes need to be reported to the Social Security Administration (SSA) if you are receiving social security disability insurance (SSDI) and how to report these changes. This week we’ll take a look at what changes you need to report if you receive Supplemental Security Income (SSI).

People you live with
It’s very important to report income or living changes to the SSA if you’re receiving any kind of social security benefits. If you have a roommate that moves in or moves out the SSA will need to know about it. This includes children, so be sure to alert the SSA if your roommate has a baby. Even if one roommate moves out and one moves in, a report is still necessary.
The SSA needs to know this because the people you live with can affect how much “in-kind” income you have.
Living arrangement
The SSA needs to know if you move into a nursing home or any kind of assisted living facility. In some states you will need to report if your cooking facilities or share of living expenses changes.

If you start or stop receiving benefits other than SSI you must notify the SSA. Also, you need to report if you begin to collect money from any kind of employment. Changes in your spouse’s income will need to be reported as well.

By law, you are limited to only having access to $2,000 in assets if you are single and receiving SSI. If you are married you can have $3,000. Assets include any cash or money you have in checking, savings, stocks or bonds. If there are any new financial accounts made with your name on it, a report must be filed with the SSA, even if you do not receive money from the account.

Marital status
Getting married or divorced are both changes that need to be reported to the SSA.

Failure to report changes to the SSA could result in your benefits being stopped until you pay back the amount of overpayment or work out a payment plan with the SSA.A penalty between $25-$100 may also be enforced for failing to report changes.

If you purposely mislead the SSA about your living or income situation, you might become ineligible for benefits for six months. You can be ineligible for up to 12 months if you are caught misinforming the SSA twice. For a third offense you can be ineligible for 24 months. In some cases you could be convicted of fraud and face jail time.

If you have questions about what changes you need to report or how to report it, call Jan Dils Attorneys at Law. Call today for a free consultation 1-877-526-3457.

We Won't Take “NO” for an Answer®

To Schedule an Appointment, Call Us Toll Free at 1.877.873.8208 or Email Us for a Prompt Response.

Jan Dils, Attorneys at Law

Jan Dils, Attorneys at Law