Not On Your Side; How Insurance Companies Work Against You
POSTED BY jon . September 28, 2018
When you’re injured in a car accident, you’ll almost certainly experience a range of emotions. When the accident initially occurs, you may experience fear. After the accident, you’ll probably worry about your recovery. However, once you start to deal with the insurance company, you’ll likely experience frustration. Insurance companies do a lot to hinder the process. Here are some of the most common things insurance companies do to make the process more difficult for those seeking compensation:
- They don’t communicate well. If you’re involved in an accident you’ll probably have to deal with an insurance adjuster and an insurance company you’re not familiar with. Depending upon the insurance company, the insurance adjuster may have more than 100 cases/individuals to keep track of at any given time. Chances are good that, when you call the adjuster, he or she may not return your call. When you call company’s main number, you’ll probably end up speaking with someone in a call center who has little to no information about your case.
- They try to get you to admit fault. Insurance companies may attempt to get you to admit fault, even if the accident wasn’t your fault. They may go as far as asking you “loaded” or confusing questions about the accident that may trick you into admitting you were at fault for the accident. For instance, if you were in the front car in a rear-end collision, they may ask you something like “what could you have done to avoid the accident?”
- Ask you to sign paperwork. An insurance company will need to obtain your medical records. To do this, they will need you to sign a medical release. This is pretty standard. However, be sure to review the release thoroughly. Some companies may try to get records from before the accident, or records that have nothing to do with your case. This is often done in an attempt to find something other than your accident that could have caused your injuries.
- They’ll try to get you to settle for less. Insurance companies are notorious for this. They often give you far less than you deserve. If you settle with the insurance company, it’s not uncommon that they will delay the process of sending your payment. Meanwhile, your medical bills are piling up, while your concern for your financial future is increasing daily.
- They’ll tell you not to hire an attorney. Insurance companies don’t want you to work with someone who is well versed in the law. An attorney knows what constitutes a fair settlement for the type of accident you had, and they’ll fight to make sure you’re compensated properly. This means that the insurance company will have to pay you more than they want to.
For many people, being involved in a serious accident is one of the most trying times in their life. This is only made worse by the actions of the insurance company. The first thing they’ll do is tell you no. That’s why you need an attorney who won’t take no for an answer. If you’d like to know more about the service we offer, call us today for a free consultation. Our toll-free number is 1-877-526-3457. If you can’t talk now, fill out this form. A member of our team will contact you to schedule an appointment at a more convenient time.