Reporting Changes to SSDI

If you are receiving SSDI benefit payments and your medical, financial or personal situation changes it is extremely important that you report these changes to the Social Security Administration (SSA).
Most changes you need to report concern your income, but if your medical condition improves you must notify the SSA. You can report any of these changes to the SSA by phone, mail or in person.

Going back to work

If you decide to start working again you need to report the amount of income you are making to the SSA, this includes being self-employed. The SSA allows for a trial work period, so you can still receive benefit payments for up to nine months after you notify the SSA you started working.
Going back to work with a disability might mean you have to buy new equipment, like a wheelchair. If this happens be sure to let the SSA know. This could be considered an impairment related work expense that may be deducted from your gross monthly earnings keeping you below the current monthly limit.

Other disability benefits

There are other disability benefits you might be eligible for, such as workers’ compensation. If you apply or start receiving other disability payments you must notify the SSA.
By law you cannot receive more that 80% of what your average current earnings were before you became disabled. This means if you made $1,000 a month before you were disabled you can only receive $800 a month when all disability benefits are added together.


While you are disabled you might become eligible to start drawing money out of your pension. If your pension is from a job that did not pay Social Security taxes, you need to let the SSA know. Most likely your SSDI payment will be reduced once the SSA is aware.
Jobs that do not pay Social Security taxes might include some jobs in the federal civil service system, jobs with foreign governments, and some state or local pension systems.

Marital Status

Getting divorced or getting married are both changes the SSA needs to be aware of.


Failure to report changes to the SSA might result in benefits being stopped until you pay back the amount of overpayment or work out a payment plan with the SSA.
You may also be penalized between $25-$100 for failing to report changes. If you purposely misinformed the SSA, you might become ineligible for benefits for six months. You can be ineligible for up to 12 months if you are caught misinforming the SSA twice. For a third offense you can be ineligible for 24 months. In some cases you could be convicted of fraud and face jail time.
If you have questions about what changes you need to report or how to report it, call Jan Dils Attorneys at Law. Call today for a free consultation 1-877-526-3457.

We Won't Take “NO” for an Answer®

To Schedule an Appointment, Call Us Toll Free at 1.877.873.8208 or Email Us for a Prompt Response.

Jan Dils, Attorneys at Law

Jan Dils, Attorneys at Law